Jamaican Vanilla PreviousNext
Negril.com Message Board > Negril Archives 2008 > Archive through March 18, 2008 >
Message/Author
 BBRasta Member  posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:27 am
Post Number: 14
I have a friend here in the states that wants me to bring back Jamaican Vanilla. Is this hard to find? Is it expensive? What is the difference from just regular Vanilla? Is this liquid Vanilla?

Help me!
\countdown {3,12,2008}
 Yamangurl Member  posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:33 am

Post Number: 2267
Hey there BBRasta - about your countdown- just delete the space between the lett "n" and the bracket and you'll be good ta go!

Some of my images are at Nikonians.org - search Member Galleries for Mango Killah-Images of Jamaica
 Karin Member  posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:29 pm

Post Number: 795
It is very hard to find Jamaican Vanilla, I mean the real one. It is very easy however, to pick up a bottle of Vanilla Essence, very frequently available in supermarkets and dirt cheap !
Karin
 BBRasta Member  posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:50 pm
Post Number: 15
What is the difference between Vanilla Essence and Jamaican Vanilla?
Prices???

Thanks!
\countdown {3,12,2008}
 BBRasta Member  posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:54 pm
Post Number: 16
Thanks for the info on the countdown.... :-)
 VtDave Member  posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 01:17 pm

Post Number: 245
Mexican vanilla is famous. I use it all the time, and if I can get a connection, a quart bottle of it costs about $4. And the flavor is remarkable. I've never seen the same thing in Jamaica, from Negril to Kingston. Next time I'm in some of the other areas of Jamaica I'll be looking for it. Or when hanging out in the Sav market. There's a woman toward the back that sells spices and honey. She may have it.

Dave
Through all of our running and all of our cunning,
If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. Jimmy Buffett
 Jambarney Member  posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 04:53 pm
Post Number: 414
How long will the Mexican vanilla keep ?? I have very big
bottle that relative gave me few years ago that I recently
discovered. (in back of cluttered cabinet) Looks like has
been opened but has to be at least 4 yrs old ?? Also the
friggin lid is stuck or I am a weenie ??

Thanks Jambarney
Redstripe Breakfast of Champions !!
 yetta Member  posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 05:37 pm
Post Number: 515
Can't wait to hear more about the differences. For some reason, all spices tend to be better when they are jamaican. I will definitely check this out upon my next reach. Anymore, I bring back more food related items than anything else. The cheap little packets of seasoning in most all of the stores are awesome. I saw many of our jamaican friends using them and that tells me that they must be good. Much, much cheaper than the fancy jarred ones and much easier to transport home. Check them out next time. Thanks for the heads up on the vanilla.
 jajewel Member  posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:56 pm
Post Number: 8
all the Ja."vanilla" I've seen in stores here is vanillin, a cheap imitation vanilla. Real "vanilla" is very expensive!...this is not a product of Ja....jus what is used often in drinks here.
 VtDave Member  posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 06:57 am

Post Number: 248
Mexican Vanilla will keep for years if unopened. Its mostly alcohol, with vanilla bean aged in it. The Mexican stuff has a very strong and unique flavor. It is an essential ingredient in "Debbie's Vermont Pancakes."

Run some warm water over the top of the stuck top to free it up. You'll love the flavor. I ran out of my quart bottles, and am now suffering with small little things of the vanilla that isn't as distinctive.

Dave
Through all of our running and all of our cunning,
If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. Jimmy Buffett
 Lola Member  posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 01:47 pm

Post Number: 1540
Buy a couple of vanilla beans and drop them in a 1/2 pint of vodka or gin, store in your cupboard a couple weeks and VOILA, you've got your own REAL vanilla!

When its all gone remove the beans, use a knife to press out the seedy yumminess out and drop it in a recipe.

I woke up in Jamaica...and vowed to live an awakened life thereafter.

Escape Member  posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 03:16 pm
Post Number: 50
have never found "real" vanilla in Ja. i carry the big bottles from costco- down !
(your friends must like the vanilla flavoring from Ja. )
 Karin Member  posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 03:37 pm

Post Number: 798
Vanilla Essence is artificial stuff, while the real Vanilla is a stick and as I said REAL, not chemically manufactured.
Karin
 N8urist Member  posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 03:42 pm

Post Number: 43
Back in the 80's, you could buy large (quart) bottles at the high-low. One year when we came back, it had disappeared off the shelves. Haven't seen it since.
 wendy Member  posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 03:50 pm

Post Number: 1457
while in the hi-low just looking at everything in the baking area i did see a bottle of vanilla that said "jamaican vanilla"didn't read any further and the thought went threw my mind wondering if it was as good as the mexican vanilla i would always pick up while there. i do recall i did not see the word essence like karin spoke of. BUT i did buy boxes and boxes of fesitval mix that boardie donnie and jim were looking at on our suprise meeting in the store. i just LOVE those things !!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Take Me As I Am" Mary J. Blige
 Jambarney Member  posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 07:44 pm
Post Number: 416
Upload
Here is some Mexy Vanilla & my
last bottle of Rum Cream. Jambarney
Redstripe Breakfast of Champions !!