Mushroom Tea? PreviousNext
Negril.com Message Board > Negril Archives 2011 > Archive through March 30, 2011 >
Message/Author
 Clarity Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 05:53 pm

Post Number: 64
Last night I went to a pub trivia with some friends. We met some people that were just passing through San Francisco for the night on their way to San Diego. They joined our team. Our conversations lead to our first trip to Jamaica coming up in April and they excitedly told us about their trip to Negril in 2009. (Believe it or not, These are the first people I've met in SF that have actually been to Jamaica! Everyone here seems to gravitate towards Hawaii or Mexico for their vacations. Jamaica is seen as an incredibly LONG journey... which I guess it is, but I know in my heart that it will be worth it once I get there.)

So this One guy launched into a story about wandering into some tea shack on the beach in Negril and having a "special mushroom tea". He described this great spiritual experience and urged us to do this during our trip.

My husband was intrigued by this tale but I wasn't convinced. I thought the best place to go to get the straight dope on this kind of thing would be here at the bulletin board. Everyone has been so helpful in providing honest advice.

So What's the real deal with the Mushroom tea? The person we spoke to described it as "totally legal in jamaica and safe to drink" any insights, cautionary tales,or thoughts you could share about this would be really appreciated.
Carpe Diem

lenny Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 05:58 pm

Post Number: 113
Yeah, have somebody direct you to Tedd's. If your interested, then that is the safe way to go. Tedd is the son of the world famous Mrs. Brown.

Happy travels.......

”If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine.” Ernesto “Che” Guevara
 gerryg123 Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 06:04 pm

Post Number: 136
There's also a place a couple doors down from Bar B Barn -- didnt try it but i heard it's a trip.
The rest of me is in Los Angeles but my heart is in Negril

thldrum1 Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 06:08 pm

Post Number: 407
Yes - mushrooms are legal in Jamaica. Tedd's shroom shack is on the way to Sav-la-mar across from the police station...too funny. If you are going to partake - this seems like the best place to do it. Had a friend that tried mushroom tea on the beach and lost 10 hours of his vacation...and he's no light weight. Be smart with whatever you do in Jamaica and you will be fine. Enjoy Negril. It's a magical place!

Seveen Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 06:36 pm

Post Number: 3491
check out this episode of three sheets - i think he hits up tedd's - lol

http://www.hulu.com/watch/12721/three-sheets-jamaica
Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.

thldrum1 Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 06:40 pm

Post Number: 408
Oh yeah. Forgot to mention our friend was with us in Negril from San Fran for the last 2 years. She thinks the journey is more than worth it.

CharlesJAB Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 06:40 pm

Post Number: 807
Seveen, that's not fair....that guy travels around the world getting f'ed up. While I wish I could be in his shoes so to say.....he's never been sober!

http://negrilnotes.com/blog/ this blog from a member here has a couple reviews of doing the tea. Also, a ton of posts here on the same subject.
Negril, Little Bay, Cockpits, North coast, Blue Mountains
 MissBlue Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 06:44 pm

Post Number: 2422
magic mushrooms are a mild hallucinogen. the tea is more mellow, and less "trippy" than eating the mushrooms themselves. nonetheless it's still a hallucinogen and can indeed be a spiritual experience....so it's something to do with your S.O. or friends, not on your own.

http://matadornetwork.com/bnt/2008/07/10/the-first-timers-guide-to-magic-mushroo ms/
 Rastagirl777 Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 08:23 pm
Post Number: 2230

Clarity on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 05:53 pm, wrote:

These are the first people I've met in SF that have actually been to Jamaica! Everyone here seems to gravitate towards Hawaii or Mexico for their vacations. Jamaica is seen as an incredibly LONG journey... which I guess it is, but I know in my heart that it will be worth it once I get there

Oh, there's quite a few of us these days. My trip is 12 hours door to door but I live 2 hours away from SFO.

MissBlue on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 06:44 pm, wrote:

magic mushrooms are a mild hallucinogen.

They are not mild - they CAN be mild but they also CAN be strong. That's the thing about mushrooms - they are unpredictable.

If you've never tried them before, in tea form or otherwise please heed the following:
- Start slow. You can always take more, you can never take less
- Stay out of the sun as much as you can
- Drink TONS of water...stay hydrated. When the body/mind is altered it forgets to do things like eat and drink.
- Do not mix with alcohol
- Find a quiet natural spot to enjoy them - stay away from too many people. Half Moon Beach is a nice place to partake.
- If things get "weird" and you are feeling uncomfortable force yourself to eat either a piece of bread or crackers. You won't feel like eating so you'll have to force yourself. It'll ground you.
- There's no "off" button. A mushroom trip can last anywhere from 4 to 8 hours. You can't just pop a valium and it'll stop. You'll need to ride it out. Just remember its only temporary.
http://nikkikamens.squarespace.com
www.wstcountywstend.wordpress.com
 Clarity Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 08:42 pm

Post Number: 65
Thanks guys for all of your advice and info. :-) I just looked up Tedd's tea shack on the map. It looks like it's about 20 miles away, though. Knowing my luck we would get stuck there. I have this image of us crawling down some strange empty road talking to rocks and trees...trying to find our way back to Negril. Is there anything closer?

Thanks Charles for the blog link. I found the entry on Tedd's and it was a great read http://negrilnotes.com/blog/2007/01/tedds/

Thanks MissBlue for the informative link too! I just read that to my husband.

Seveen - The three sheets episode had me cracking up!
I don't know if I want to spend hours of my vacation chasing chickens around someone's backyard.

Thank you Rastagirl for the advice! I'm worried about the no "OFF" button part. 8 hours sounds like a long time...

Thldrum1 - When you say your friend "lost 10 hours of his vacation" - what do you mean? Does he not remember those 10 hours at all? Did he spend those 10 hours rocking back and forth.. slackjawed and staring into space?

If that's the case, then I think I'm going to pass on experiencing any form of Mushroom tea. My husband on the other hand is even more intrigued now.

Figures.
Carpe Diem

MissBlue Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 08:47 pm

Post Number: 2425
hehe, clarity, don't be fooled by that map - it's not to the scale you are thinking it is. tedd's is right in downtown negril - it's 5 minutes by taxi from the main part of the beach and 2 minutes from negril's 'downtown'.

also, you do have some measure of control over the experience; they will ask you if you want it strong or weak, etc -- you can try just a weak tea for your first time; that's probably the best approach anyhow.
 captaind Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 09:08 pm

Post Number: 1035
Do you know where the mushrooms come from?
Back home.

Seveen Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 09:09 pm

Post Number: 3492
tedds is no way 20 miles - just a lot of stuff crammed on that map

enjoy relax refresh EXHALE
Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.

doctoro Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 09:19 pm

Post Number: 1566
Have a designated "driver".
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain

CharlesJAB Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 09:25 pm

Post Number: 811

captaind on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 09:08 pm, wrote:

If you are referring to them growing in cow sh@t that's one thing. If you are referring to Tedd as a second generation grower as being a shady source that is clearly wrong. Assuming it's the first of my two assumptions forgive me, if it's the second of my two take a step back..reflect and post again please.

I've never done mushrooms, I don't know Tedd or his mother (Mrs Brown) but if and when I try them he will be the first place. I know countless people on and off the forums that swear by his commitment to delivering a good product.
 captaind Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 09:36 pm

Post Number: 1036
Referring to Bullsh*t. Ever once in a while we'd send one of the boys to go out in the morning the where we kept the bull and get some.

We'd dry one of them and roll it with ganj in a spliff....only on a two day off weekend. As Rob would say (grin).....
Back home.

Seveen Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 09:52 pm

Post Number: 3493
Does deer poo mushrooms work. I haven't seen any bulls here. Dang.

CharlesJAB Member  posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 10:00 pm

Post Number: 812
@ Captaind....cool, I didn't think you meant the second of my assumptions!

I use to grow all of my veggies in cow dung and they taste great. Many of the ganj.. farmers I knew in Vermont grew their crops in cow dung....nothing wrong with it at all!

I never heard of smoking them...hmmm...some research to do!
 Red I Member  posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 12:11 am

Post Number: 250
Boil da Herb, Leave the Butt candy alone! And if you using cow manure to grow stuff, make sure its well composted, Raspect!
 Rastagirl777 Member  posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 08:53 am
Post Number: 2232

Clarity on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 08:42 pm, wrote:

It looks like it's about 20 miles away, though

It's not 20 miles away. Its one route taxi away from just about everywhere.

captaind on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 09:08 pm, wrote:

Psylicybin mushrooms grow out of cow dung.

CharlesJAB on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 09:25 pm, wrote:

Tedd as a second generation grower

I do not believe the mushrooms at Tedds (or anywhere in Jamaica) are cultivated (they are here in California, grown in medium as opposed to sh*t) - they are harvested out in the bush.

CharlesJAB on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 10:00 pm, wrote:

Many of the ganj.. farmers I knew in Vermont grew their crops in cow dung

There's one thing growing something in dung, another using it as fertilizer. My friend in Jamaica has rabbits - just for the poop to mix in the soil. Here in California we use chicken poop - aged because its very high in nitrogen. The most used fertilizer and the hardest to get is bat guano - very high in nitrogen so it needs to "rest" but its pure gold when growing anything.
http://nikkikamens.squarespace.com
www.wstcountywstend.wordpress.com
 brasi22000 Member  posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 11:20 am
Post Number: 36
I am def. interested in Tedd's and am probably gonna partake if I can find a friend that doesn't mind watching me for a bit, LOL.

It's legal after all.
 Clarity Member  posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 11:38 am

Post Number: 66
Thanks for the clarification on the distance to Tedd's. There's a lot on the map and I don't quite have an accurate feel for the size of Negril yet.

Red I - Butt candy!! That had me laughing at my desk at work. love it You have a point there..

So wait, are you guys trying to tell me that magic mushrooms aren't grown in a field of flowers somewhere over the rainbow and picked by leprechauns? ;)

But since we're on that topic, the fact that these mushrooms have been plucked off of cow dung IS another reason I think this tea might not be for me. I hear the taste is beyond awful. (not a surprise) I guess I could just hold my nose and chug it down. I'm not entirely convinced yet that I want to...

Miss blue - It's good to know that there are various different strengths to the tea. So IF we do end up visiting Tedd at some point during our trip...my husband can say "take me to the moon!" and I can say I just want a really MILD tea so I can carry him home....:-)

Brasi - I see you're leaving in eight days! Have a great time and if you do visit Tedd's, please let me know how it goes!
Carpe Diem

MissBlue Member  posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 11:50 am

Post Number: 2428
LMAO clarity you are a hoot!

the godawful taste is when you are eating the actual mushrooms themselves - (the website I sent you is showing info for that; not for tea)

when it's made into a tea, honey can be added, it's much less awful.... and you don't get nauseous from the tea either, like you can when you eat the shrooms directly. In general, drinking them in a tea is more mellow than the plants.

and yes, your thinking about "to the MOON Alice" - vs - "Mild", is spot on!

have a great time no matter what you decide!
 Rambo Member  posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 11:53 am

Post Number: 7164
remember it does "enhance" everything.....dont take it while your drunk, fighting mad, or severely depressed...tell vendor (Recommend Teds or Browns), that you want a "like a beer buzz" feeling and it will occur.......

the tea is a good way to ingest but eating or smoking I dont care for it.................

It will be less than worried about......lol
Upload

The Original M Browns ( best fried chicken also)

"I HATE to forget some of the Good Times I had........
and they were with some of the people I'll never forget"

Marblehead Member  posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 08:25 pm

Post Number: 522
I took a course from the local mycologist years ago. He was an MD and professor of entomology. Seriously. The fist class he sauted several kinds of wild mushrooms. Delicious. The one thing I learned is that you have to be very careful with mushrooms. They are maddenly hard to identify reliably. Even experienced people can make mistakes and the results are not good. Look up Sam Sebastiani scion of the California winemakers.

That said, I always eat the wild mushroom strudel my friends bring to dish to pass parties. Yummy. Magic mushroom are one of the easier to identify. Usually. All things in moderation, Ms. Clarity. At least the first time! Respect --Marblehead
We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

Marko Member  posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 08:46 pm

Post Number: 4682

gerryg123 on: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 06:04 pm, wrote:

There's also a place a couple doors down from Bar B Barn -- didnt try it but i heard it's a trip.

yah mon.....at Waynes likkle bar and dat's where mi tried it back in '91
it's in the little alley that runs from the beach road by Miss Mary's to Moms Place....
think mi still seeing stars from dat night.....lol
it was a likkle bit on the wild side for mi....
and lasted quite a few hours and then mi fell asleep and has some wild dreams......lol
think it be best to have the tea during da day.....
give it some time to wear off before you go to bed that night...unless you into wild dreams

Cool Runnings, Marko
Hedo 84,91~T-Water 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s 04,05~Corals Seas 06~Catcha 07~BCC 08~SeaStar 10
Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.