YS falls or Dunns River? PreviousNext
Negril.com Message Board > Negril Archives 2011 > Archive through January 24, 2011 >
Message/Author
 Alrick Allen Member  posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 03:46 am

Post Number: 16
A few people and most of my first-time guests have been asking which one is better between the two. Personally, I'd prefer to bring them to YS falls because it's less "touristy", aside from being beautiful..Dunns river on the other hand is also a beautiful place but not for tourists who don't like crowded place(pushy vendors) and will take you a long ride (and bad road) to get there if you're coming from Mo Bay.

Both are beautiful and nice places to visit in jamaica... but choosing between the two, I'd go with ys falls.

For those who have been in both location, do share your experiences/opinion..hope this helps our friends when deciding :-)
Jamaican Tour Guide - Customized, Private and Reasonable Rates
"Come See Jamaica Your Way" - Private tours customized for you and your family
http://www.YourJamaicanTourGuide.com
 Marley9808 Member  posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 07:23 am

Post Number: 221
My choice would be YS Falls as well
For just about the same reasons you mentioned

I have done Dunns River, Y.S. and Mayfield and my favorite is YS....I personally feel it is the most beautiful of the 3
I like the whole experience, much more laid back, more to see and do, less touristy...something for everyone
I could spend all day at YS, in the pool, on the swing, zip lining, having some lunch, tubing, just lying around

YS is definitely my favorite!
 Robert Member  posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 07:53 am

Post Number: 1162
Been to both and wouldn't go back to Dunn River Falls if the trip were free. Check out these views of YS on the Virtual Travel Globe
http://www.virtualtravelglobe.com/jamaica/ys-falls.html
 JoeT Member  posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 08:20 am

Post Number: 47
In order of preference:
Mayfield Falls - River Walk, swim under rocks, and very NON Touristy, plus eco trail walk...

YS Falls - Beautiful waterfalls, but starting to get touristy. Nice new pool, very well setup.

Dunns - Never will go back there again... Too touristy, too crowded, too plastic now.
Count down to Ya ya mon!!

Tonyboombatz Member  posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 09:18 am
Post Number: 44
Great Link Robert thank you for sharing.
 Rumrunner Member  posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 10:38 am
Post Number: 7
My favorite is YS also. I have not been there since they added the zipline. I hope it did not take away the beauty of the falls. Might just have to check it out in March.
Can't wait to be feel the sand in my toes!

Marley9808 Member  posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 11:11 am

Post Number: 222
I don't think the zipline takes away from it at all....but you can see what you think here:

Upload

Upload

Upload

Alrick Allen Member  posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 11:47 am

Post Number: 17
Robert, thanks for the link - that's very cool !! I guess my guests would enjoy the 360 views of YS w/c is much better than just still pictures.

@Rumrunner - The zip line has become an attraction to tourists as most of them want to try it. During peak season it could be pretty busy there though.

Marley mentioned about mayfield w/c is a pretty place too...It's laid back and more personal. Consider dropping by mayfield if you plan to visit YS because they're a bit closer.
 Rumrunner Member  posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 12:07 pm
Post Number: 9
Thanks for those great pix! It still looks awesome!
We've been to Mayfield back in 2000. I remember getting lost and driving right smack-dap through the landfill, LOL!
But we found it and it was worth it.
Can't wait to be feel the sand in my toes!

shellyk Member  posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 03:48 pm

Post Number: 57
IN order of preference I say YS falls takes the winner by far but Mayfield holds a big place in my heart as well. Dunns i tell people to do just because everybody hears of it before coming to JA but if I could only pick one or 2 it wouldn't be Dunns. That is a disgusting tourist mess over there, nothing relaxing about it IMHO.

jaherring Member  posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 05:14 pm

Post Number: 1204
Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

*Disgusting tourist mess*??...All in all I found Dunns to be a fun time.

Alrick Allen Member  posted on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 01:28 am

Post Number: 18
Great pics jaherring!! Glad you find Dunns to be fun. People who are looking for some adventure will find climbing up enjoyable... But it's not easy for weaker people or small children so I don't advise it.

After all it's a matter of personal preference. Dunns river used to be relaxing and not so crowded.. I could remember how better it was several years back. It has become famous to most tourists and everyone just wants to get there! It became commercialized in recent years by souvenir vendors due to influx of these visitors.
Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.