Hustlers or Rude Boys? PreviousNext
Negril.com Message Board > Negril Archives 2011 > Archive through January 10, 2011 >
Thread     Views  Last Post Last Poster Started by Posts
Archive through December 29, 2010 12-29-10  07:01 pmMsDreadyVLuvJaBad20
Archive through December 29, 2010 12-29-10  01:11 pmgarysgurlKahuna320

Message/Author
 captaind Member  posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 07:08 pm

Post Number: 905
Ms DV

Many years ago the herb had different names. "Cali" was seeded and a lower grade. The best was called "Lambs Bread" now called sensimeana (sp)

These youth have heard these words from their parents and grandparents.
Back home.

Rob & Lisa 48 Member  posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 07:11 pm

Post Number: 372
we stayed at rooms last feb, now we have delt with husstlers but there was 1 guy beside rooms on the g.p. side who was very, very aggressive, sounds like the same guy, he tried everything in the book for me to purchase from him, i did notify security at rooms, oh well , we will be staying at rooms again in feb, and the first time he bothers us i will report it to security, anyway soon come

SMith744 Member  posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 07:35 pm

Post Number: 11052

Rob & Lisa 48 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 07:11 pm, wrote:

we will be staying at rooms again in feb

WHEN you check-in:::>> tell front-desk employee AND property-manager:::>> that there're a bunch of folks on the internet chattin' & upset about THEIR resident drug-dealer/hassel-er

[[[ an aside:::>> there's NO-way this guy can post-up like that and Rooms' big-man not know what's-up .... my gut-SAY Rooms management/security/somebody(s) is subccontracting/lease-ing that drug-dealing *spot* ]]]

everybody knows everybody (and what everybody is doing) up & down that beachfront, and all-over Negril.

lets crunch the numbers::::>> Rooms' personal beachfront drug-vendor makes Ja$xxxxx.xx, using any means nece$$ary. Rooms gets their likkle kick-back.

customers/guests/passer-bys are vexed, but dem no care
...dem jus' want the money
......they already got your room-fee money
.........drug money is ice-ing on the cake

again:::>> dem no care
...will do nutin', unless they hear a complaint
.....then they'll do a sham '.chase away.' to satisfy the complainer(s)

1 or 2 complaints out of 100 is no biggie
...especially when they factor in the number of guests/passer-bys that buy the drugs from their-guy
be happy
 jessa Member  posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 08:14 pm

Post Number: 2833
I don't want to be around that poison. I'm sorry, but if anyone ever having anything to do with crack ever got in my face, I would go off. That's just me. There is handling stuff, and then there is not tolerating any nonsense too.
http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=5801

gunko Member  posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 08:27 pm

Post Number: 435
Why not inform JA tourist board? Or minister of tourism? That might fix the problem.
 SMith744 Member  posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 08:52 pm

Post Number: 11054

gunko on: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 08:27 pm, wrote:

Why not inform JA tourist board? Or minister of tourism? That might fix the problem.

no no nooooooooooooooo

i don't think tourist-concerns are in those two ministries's porfolios::: they're more concerned with GETTING folks TO the island. After that, it's every-man/woman for dem-selves

ummmmmmmmmmmmm.....

instead (maybe) dial:::>> 311
this thread-issue probably best handled by the police
...and/or the Minister of Police & Recreation
be happy
 Marko Member  posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 09:03 pm

Post Number: 4539

SMith744 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 08:52 pm, wrote:

instead (maybe) dial:::>> 311
this thread-issue probably best handled by the police
...and/or the Minister of Police & Recreation

that's exactly what I do if they are getting in mi face Masta Smith.....
mi take out the cellie and call da Police.....dem scatter to be never seen again.....lol

it's an age old problem......dem Police will detain them if they can catch dem

Russell up by Banana Shout is the only one that still gives mi a hard time on da Cliffs......
though last time mi was there.... him wasn't around....him had gotten arrested and was in Jail....

Cool Runnings, Marko
Hedo 84,91~T-Water 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s 04,05~Corals Seas 06~Catcha 07~BCC 08~SeaStar 10
 spreadlove Member  posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 09:27 pm
Post Number: 25
What ever happened to the uniform officers who once roamed the beach. The last time I was in Negril(4/10), I only saw the flash light officers. I noticed each year it's getting worst. I don't have a problem dealing with them because I can be a rude girl,, but I shouldn't have to.
 gunko Member  posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 09:42 pm

Post Number: 436

SMith744 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 08:52 pm, wrote:

i don't think tourist-concerns are in those two ministries's porfolios::: they're more concerned with GETTING folks TO the island. After that, it's every-man/woman for dem-selves

My mistake Mr. Smith sorry for the bad suggestion, just made sense at the time (I should've waited post!).

spreadlove on: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 09:27 pm, wrote:

I noticed each year it's getting worst. I don't have a problem dealing with them because I can be a rude girl,, but I shouldn't have to.

I agree seems to getting worse. I also have no problems for several reasons:
1. Most know me
2. The rest call me Rude Lady (A name I wear proudly)
3. I know just enough patois to get by
4. I do have quite a few friends who watch over me that when I am approached, I see a glance to back, a nod, and then a respect mon!

I know I am lucky, but it took awhile to get the respect.
Best advice, be aware, be firm, be fair and be prepared.

The crack thing, bad news and usually there are non-negril influences. Lucky for me, I can't stay awake much past dark!
 iriesis Member  posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 11:53 pm

Post Number: 19
First, let me say that my wonderful experiences in Negril FAR out weigh the few the occasional incidents that have been unsavory. It is all of the wonderful people and experiences that I have encountered while on my beloved that keep me coming back year after year.
With that being said, it is however wise to be aware of your surroundings. Anywhere that you may travel or wherever you may live one is bound to run into situations where you may feel uneasy. It is important to keep these situations in perspective and carry yourself properly.
My husband and I have been traveling to Jamaica for about 10 years now and we often bring "newbies" to the island. In fact, I am responsible for starting the addiction of at least a dozen people.
Anyway, about 3 years ago we were in Negril with a group of these newbies and had a sketchy situation. I had explained the "Jamaica 101" to this group in great detail, however there was one guy (we will call him "Josh") who just couldn't keep himself from not listening to my "talk" and decided that he needed to go out on the beach and buy some "recreational fun" and I am not talking herbal.
Over the next day or 2 Josh flashed his money around, buying anyone who asked a drink and tipping way OVER what was expected.In other words people began to get the wrong impression of my friend. He was simply not being smart.
So...one late evening Josh, my nephew, my husband, and myself were walking back from a bar on the beach when a man approached us ( it was a local guy that Josh had bought a beer for a day earlier) he looked at my husband and I and said "you people are good, you have been bringing people here for years, the Jamaican tourist board should give you a free trip."(he had obviously been paying attention for a long time) He then turned to Josh pulled out a knife and said "I am hungry, I need money, give me money now." Josh quickly opened his wallet and emptied what was in it out to this dude. The guy disappeared as quick as he had appeared.
He was a local with a big scar on his face...I have not seen him since.
My point is.... that Josh did not mind his surroundings, he was for lack of a better word STUPID, and just as any stupid person who is anywhere in the world, he paid the consequences.
Be smart folks, that is the best that you can do.
 Maryann Member  posted on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 08:44 am

Post Number: 804

gunko on: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 09:42 pm, wrote:

Lucky for me, I can't stay awake much past dark!

Lol! Me too! Last time I was there, though, noticed they were much more aggressive in the daytime. Up until then, in several trips, had only 1 bad experience, on the beach, with a woman who tried to chase me down to give me a massage. This last trip, I had 2 bad experiences in 1 day with people wanting to sell me drugs, and that is what concerns me is the drug dealers. I don't have a problem with ganja. It's the hard drugs, addiction, and crime. Wish something could be done about it. My next vacation will definitely be spent in Jamaica, but probably not Negril.
 Jamerican71 Member  posted on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 08:58 am
Post Number: 508

SMith744 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 06:37 pm, wrote:

then::>> i loook around & point at another tourist::>> "..you should go *get* THEM.."

I say the exact same thing!
 Lola Member  posted on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 09:08 am

Post Number: 4860

Wisconsin Woody on: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 06:23 pm, wrote:

Now if I could just tell them that I get tested for jewelry and carvings I would have it made.

Dream, Thank, Receive, Repeat
 Lola Member  posted on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 09:16 am

Post Number: 4861
Iriesis that is some story...
 Crusher Member  posted on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 09:17 am

Post Number: 2
We have a friend that lives in Negril and he spends most of our time there with us. He looks after us and its a great buffer to have. I am a big dude, 6'4" and I have tattoos and earrings, so I am a pretty big target for the ganga salesman. I use the get tested line all the time as well. It works and like it was stated above, more often then not they feel sorry for you. My wife used to live with a Jamaican and she knows Patois pretty well, its fun listening to her tell people who are being rude where to go. At 5'0 and with platinum blonde hair it can be quite entertaining to watch.
 Yvonne Member  posted on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 09:35 am

Post Number: 2909

gunko on: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 09:42 pm, wrote:

I can't stay awake much past dark!

I'm in that group too. Since I'm up by 5 a.m. or earlier, I don't see much of Negril at night very often.

Maryann on: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 08:44 am, wrote:

noticed they were much more aggressive in the daytime

Very true. On a beach walk several years ago w/ a fellow boardie (also female) some men wanted to chat w/ us. We weren't interested & nicely told them so. As we walked on, one literally grabbed my arm to keep me from "getting away". I won't go into details but it didn't take too long for me to convince him to cut me loose. That was the worst case of aggression I'd encountered in years. 20+ years ago a guy threatened to chop me (yep, even went & got his machete) because I wouldn't talk w/ him. He stalked me on the beach for hours. Sheesh. Obviously it didn't deter me from returning to Negril.

Maryann on: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 08:44 am, wrote:

had only 1 bad experience, on the beach, with a woman who tried to chase me down to give me a massage.

I think this might be the same woman who snagged my newbie friend who, BTW, refused to listen to the advice I was giving her. She ended up paying $35 for a 10 minute massage. Maybe when she makes enough mistakes & learns tough lessons herself she'll realize I do know what I'm taking about :-)
My body's here. My mind's in Jamaica.
Trip#42
 wit Member  posted on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 10:15 am
Post Number: 3
as someone said on another thread...tis why many of us have moved to the cliffs. Beach in Negril is just not a vacation for me anymore. To much hussle and hassle.
 ohliz Member  posted on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 04:19 pm
Post Number: 5

wit on: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 10:15 am, wrote:

as someone said on another thread...tis why many of us have moved to the cliffs. Beach in Negril is just not a vacation for me anymore. To much hussle and hassle.

Agree. Not that the cliffs are immune, but far fewer approaches and generally mellower folks who take "no" better. For me even better to leave Negril altogether and spend time in the parts of Jamaica where hustlers are virtually nonexistent.

I don't take photos of people without permission. I can see how some silhouettes might get into a photo of course, but I'd probably just do as Kahuna did and delete the photo in that case...but end it with that.

We have Amish country near us and I really feel for the people there, constantly being photographed without being asked first, especially the kids....it has to get really annoying and it smacks of exploitation to me.
 spreadlove Moderator  posted on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 04:35 pm
Post Number: 1
I would love to hang out on the cliffs for a day when I return April 2011. Where is the best place to eat and have drinks without all the tourist attractions?
 ohliz Member  posted on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 05:37 pm
Post Number: 6
Lots....3 Dives is my favorite, there's also Xtabi next door (nice water access there), Catcha Falling Star for dinner at Ivan's, Seastar Inn (not on the water but still cool), Negril Escape....
 Marblehead Member  posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 08:05 am

Post Number: 423
I must be getting old enough that I don't seem to attract the the kind of unwanted attention nobody likes. Years ago I learned that raising your hand, palm out and waving it back and forth while smiling and saying "no thanks" was pretty effective with most higglers. Add a "Christian, mon" to shut down the drug peddlers. In any event, don't engage more than that because once you do, it's like picking up fly paper. It's very hard to shake loose.
We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

Island Girl Member  posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 10:16 am

Post Number: 946

Marblehead on: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 08:05 am, wrote:

In any event, don't engage more than that because once you do, it's like picking up fly paper. It's very hard to shake loose.

LOL Love the comparison!

Great thread- the stories and the advice.

IRIE! *IG
"And do not change. Do not divert your love from visible things. But go on loving what is good, simple and ordinary; animals and things and flowers, and keep the balance true." ~RILKE~
 missouri mule Member  posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 10:57 am
Post Number: 73
Learned My Lesson

Several years ago while sitting on my beachfront patio sipping Blue Mountain coffee and enjoying the still morning a young Jamaican man stood on the beach and began waving at me. At first I tried to ignore him, but by gosh that young man stood there for a half hour just staring at me. This was my first non AI trip to Negril. Eventually, like an idiot, I walked to the edge of the property, onto the beach, and said "What's up?" Through very bloodshot and frankly crazy-looking eyes he replied that he was down on his luck and gave me a story about how he had been fired from the kitchen staff at another resort. Said he was hungry and asked if I could help him out by giving him some money so he could buy breakfast. Even though the thought ran through my mind that he would simply buy some beer with my contribution, I said "just a minute" and walked back to my room and retrieved a five dollar bill and returned to the beach and gave it to him certain this would make him happy and end the encounter. Wrong. He then asked for a cigarette. By this time I was beginning to feel uncomfortable and just wanted the young man to move on. So I went back to my room and grabbed a pack of smokes and returned to the beach where he stood and handed him the pack. I was just sure he would be overjoyed with my generosity and move on. Wrong again! Now he asked me to get him a cup of coffee..with some cream. At this point it dawned on me that I was the most gullible tourist on the beach. I was becoming enraged at this point, more at myself than at him, although any sympathy I had for this man had now vanished. I said "Move on mon" and walked back to my room. He remained standing on the beach staring at me for another 10 minutes or so and then he moved on. I have been back to Negril several times since then and am returning this winter. I have never been played like that again and will not. Maybe this experience has cooled my heart too much, but my attitude now is I'm helping you simply by spending my vacation dollars in Negril so I now simply wave my hand, say "no thank you" and move on even as they continue speaking. As another poster said, do not let them engage you. Just move on.
 Choptop Member  posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 11:12 am

Post Number: 131
The good in us wants to reach out and help at the same time we are telling ourselves that we are smucks for doing it. Hope I never become hardened by being "smucked" but am sure I/we will be their to help when their is a real need.
Ma always said we were nice boys, just not to smart. lol

Yard Dog Member  posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 11:29 am

Post Number: 4179

SMith744 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 07:35 pm, wrote:

management/security/somebody(s) is subccontracting/lease-ing that drug-dealing *spot* ]]]

which was fine until that c*ke ruined everyting
 Lola Member  posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 01:36 pm

Post Number: 4873
Missouri, you learned the lesson during the first 'lab', you did all right!!!
 ohliz Member  posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 03:02 pm

Post Number: 2768

captaind on: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 07:08 pm, wrote:

sensimeana (sp)

sensimilla - spanish for "without seeds".

I've only once given someone in Jamaica money for "nothing" - it was in Kingston and the man was old....like 90. Really old.
 captaind Member  posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 03:35 pm

Post Number: 909
Yes liz..the double L is a Y but the locals say "senimena" rather than san-similla .

Same thing with the "Holy Grail" or "Royal Blood" depends on how it's pronounced
Back home.

Dr. Suess Member  posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 05:49 pm

Post Number: 674
if you are a woman, tell the guys who come with the "lyrics" that you've already got a man in Jamaica and his name is Reneto Adams... That should scare anyone off
 irieworld Member  posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 05:58 pm

Post Number: 1602
Good one, Dr. Suess!
http://irie-negril-jamaica.blogspot.com/
 Colonel Andy & Pam Member  posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 07:16 am
Post Number: 574
I have also heard "Lambs Bread" referred to as "Lambs Breath".

Respect,
Col. Andy & "Wildcat" Pam
 jon c. Member  posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 11:26 am
Post Number: 144
I was in Ft. Lauderdale the other night to visit a club I hadn't been to in few years. Between the parking lot and the door, I was hit up by pandhandlers 4 or 5 times going in and again by a similar number at the end of the evening. A number of them were young males rather than the grizzled older guys I'm more used to encountering in such situations. In prior years, I had never seen any such activity at this location. Reminded me of the increase in the number of, and aggressiveness of, the higglers in Negril. When economies are bad, it gets harder to survive at the lower ends of the economic scale.

LuvJaBad Member  posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 11:36 am

Post Number: 1197
Heck, I cant even get to work without someone asking for something when I take the subway (biking helps me avoid this scene...but ole man winter wont let me ride!!) I guess that's why I dont have issues on the beach with the ones asking for something for nothing....I have lots of practice saying no!
til Miami for Buju show!

til I reach my beloved Negril!
Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.