Negril to savanna la mar by route taxi PreviousNext
Negril.com Message Board > Negril Archives 2010 > Archive through November 09, 2010 >
Message/Author
 jenblack Member  posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 10:38 am

Post Number: 5
how much should it cost to take a route taxi?

where can i catch a ride?

what do you recommend doing in sav la mar?

is there a market day?

thanks
 Sunnie / Sheri Member  posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 11:42 am

Post Number: 2231
Go to the taxi stand, you will have to hang around until it's fulled up and I mean FULL. Or charter your own driver.
taxi stand is out past the Jail and roundie bout. I love love going into Sav. They have all kinds of stores and the market is awesome. That being said I would take a Ja friend to the market with me. Sat I think. There are music shops, bars, all kinds of interesting things to check out in town. Make sure you go to Bashco's if you are needing anything or not. It's fun to go. I'm planning on going to get some household stuff for the pad.
Karma believe it !

Luvsdaislands Member  posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 12:20 pm

Post Number: 1499
The ways I have gotten to Sav have been riding with friends, so I can't speak on how to get there but I do think there are route taxi's that take you from Negril to Sav (i couldn't imagine that it would be only $100J to go from Negril to Sav as it's about 30-40 ride, but it could be). If it were me I would try to hire a driver for the day that could take you, show you around, hangout with you and take you back.

Don't go on a Sunday because everything will be closed except the for a few fish vendors and veggie vendors.

Friday or Saturday are the best days to go, with Saturday being the busiest, shopping downtown for clothes, food markets, fresh veggies, fresh fish, etc. etc. Not many touristy items (which I like).

Bluefields Beach is not far from Sav...less than 30 minutes, great beach to hangout for a few hours, bring a picnic basket.
Spring Break!
DREAM WEEKEND!!
New Year's...Hopefully!!
 rjonsun Member  posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 12:30 pm

Post Number: 633
Here is an old post about the Sav Market. There route taxi prices are out of date.

http://www.negril.com/discus/messages/43768/76648.html?1198501641

Regards,

Bob
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free. -- P.J. O'Rourke
 Rastagirl777 Member  posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 12:48 pm
Post Number: 1859
I can't remember now how much a route taxi is these days - I go once a trip to stock up on household stuff. I suggest heading out in the morning and returning before Noon - it gets really, really HOT there mid-day.

The route taxi driver will make a few stops in Sav - ask him where to get out so that you'll have easy walking access downtown and near the market.
http://nikkikamens.squarespace.com
 Marko Member  posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 02:43 pm

Post Number: 4419
in Westmoreland it's a $66.00 base rate and then $3.60 per km......
officially from the Transit Authority from Negril Bus Park to the Sav Bus Park it's suppose to be $167J's...
cause it is 28KM which is 100.80J's plus the 66J's equals $167J's.....mi usually pay dem $200J's

mi have done this many times and always get a thrill out of it as long as mi don't get totally squished.....lol
it use to be only $100J's to go from Negril to Sav......but the increase went thru Jan 16th of this year

Cool Runnings, Marko
Hedo 84,91~T-Water 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s 04,05~Corals Seas 06~Catcha 07~BCC 08~SeaStar 10
 Yard Dog Member  posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 04:23 pm

Post Number: 4049
Sav is a good place for CD's at the right price or bring a local for the very right price
 Negrilmom Member  posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 06:28 pm

Post Number: 29
It is 170J from Negril to Sav right now.

If you take another route taxi to Negirl bus park, tell him you are going to Sav. then, he will point which driver is ready to leave soon. If you are alone in Taxi, you consider they will charge you a charter fee. Make sure you ask if you want "route" taxi.

Same price till the end of the route which is the downtown market. It is 50J intown ride in Sav.

Make sure you have a lot of hundred bills to take taxi! or give him a exact!

Sweetness Member  posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 09:01 pm

Post Number: 2931
if I remember right walk away from the market on left side and there is a taxi stand few blocks past Hardware store for taxi's going back to Negril. Driver will help you with bags/packages.

[just commentary but I try to be respectful to taxi drivers and I am always polite, try to have exact change, knock dirt off shoes before getting in, announce when ready to get out or where I am going, no wet bathing suit on seats/put towel down. Love to sit up front but always ask first to do so.]

Also, recommend a local friend to go with you especially first time to show you the runnings and help with negotiating and patois.

Negril bus park very organized and has drinks/snacks etc so you don't have to hurry. tell them where your going and wait for a FULL taxi then for me anyway - hold on, close your eyes and pray. Still can't relax as many drive very fast but I have lucked out with some that are more careful. Lovely scenery.

ENJOY
Preach Peace~Live Love~Blesséd Be
ONE LOVE Sweet

doctoro Member  posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 09:23 pm
Post Number: 971
I believe the market is open daily but the really good stuff starts coming in on Thursday.

Fontana Drugstore rivals our CVC/S? and Walgreen , Boscho's for household goods, Shop for Less for food, the market, selling fresh veggies and fresh fish, Courts, and Singer for furniture.

Street vendors with everything imaginable. A shoppers paradise, if you can think it they probably sell it.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain

Sweetness Member  posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 09:26 pm

Post Number: 2932
Always exhausted when I get back (lol)
Sensory overload compared to the peaceful cliffs
But fun!
Preach Peace~Live Love~Blesséd Be
ONE LOVE Sweet

Rastagirl777 Member  posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 10:56 pm
Post Number: 1860

Sweetness on: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 08:26 pm, wrote:

Always exhausted when I get back (lol)

Me too, trips to Sav wipe me right out. That's why I usually only go once during my stay.

You can get great deals on great Fabrics there too - Hurry Hurry always has a great selection and awesome prices.
http://nikkikamens.squarespace.com
 Sunnie / Sheri Member  posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 02:52 pm

Post Number: 2235
I can't wait to go !!! One of my prize things I loved from Basho was a bucket on wheels with a hole for squishing out the excess water.The cleaning lady thought it was awesome, so I gave it to her when I left. I have noticed that most Mom and Pop hotels etc never have anything decent for their people to work with. Hard to clean without the tools.

Sav day,,, market , Boschco, all the stores to check out, stop for a look at the music shop right next door to the bar. Have a chill head out and cover the rest ! love it ! If you have anyone you really want to treat take back a bucket of KFC for them.
Karma believe it !

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.